Go Back   Point Man Ministries > PTSD
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Administrator

danausmc is on a distinguished road
What about triggers?

Has this or something similar happened to any of you?

When I was attending a conference, there was a Christian singer that sang at the evening meeting and was very good. Nice message, nice voice, pleasant too. HOWEVER after a few songs she was in the crowd right in the face of attendees. SINGING. I really got concerned that she would be in my face and started looking for the door, or worse, thinking of what unpleasantness was I going to do. I missed most of the concert. My wife was sure if she came over to me I would smack her, or get right back in her face, but with a less than Christian response. I was nutsed up most of the night after that. I was thinking , Lady you don't know me and you don't know these other guys either and you don't have that right to be this intimate with me and especially in public. I just can't explain what I was feeling.
Do any of you have any thoughts on this??
Or am I just off base here?
Old 10-06-2006, 02:02 PM
silentwarrior

Re: What about triggers?

Hello Dana. I was at the conference and was uneasy when she did that at first. The holy spirit spoke to me throught her though. It was strange. I normally don't let anyone get in my grill. It was great to meet you and other brothers. Semper Fi. Silent Warrior
Old 10-06-2006, 04:21 PM
crackedpot

Dana, I agree. It was deffinitely DIFFERENT to have a public singer IN YOUR FACE!! Don't get closer than 3'!! That' s kind of a "standard rule", especially w/ us Nam PTSD Vets. I too felt uneasy w/ it untill I felt the Holy Spirit say sumfin like, " Crackedpot, be all things to all. Ride w/ this & be a part of it. Lean not on your own understanding, but in every way trust in Me!" So..., I just rode w/ it brother. She sang in my face...what could I do? punch her out w/ my twin sister & her friend there?! Tears came rolling down. She hit a nerve! She cried too! I felt a release. I felt a cleansing. I got a powerfull flashback of a wicked "fragging" I saw in Nam. The words she sang to me touched heavily on that flashback. It was God's Timing. Yah, her singing ministry is UNIQUE. I can't judge it. I can't evaluate it's worth, but in that place in Turner, Oregon & in that time , I was blessed.
Your bro in Christ,
Crackedpot
Old 10-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Thanks men. I really had to check myself spiritually. No one has done that to me since 1967 and that was at Parris Island. The words ministered to me too as long as she kept her distance. What a strange happening .....looks like another area that needs cleaning up.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedpot
Dana, I agree. It was deffinitely DIFFERENT to have a public singer IN YOUR FACE!! Don't get closer than 3'!! That' s kind of a "standard rule", especially w/ us Nam PTSD Vets. I too felt uneasy w/ it untill I felt the Holy Spirit say sumfin like, " Crackedpot, be all things to all. Ride w/ this & be a part of it. Lean not on your own understanding, but in every way trust in Me!" So..., I just rode w/ it brother. She sang in my face...what could I do? punch her out w/ my twin sister & her friend there?! Tears came rolling down. She hit a nerve! She cried too! I felt a release. I felt a cleansing. I got a powerfull flashback of a wicked "fragging" I saw in Nam. The words she sang to me touched heavily on that flashback. It was God's Timing. Yah, her singing ministry is UNIQUE. I can't judge it. I can't evaluate it's worth, but in that place in Turner, Oregon & in that time , I was blessed.
Your bro in Christ,
Crackedpot
I was more concerned for the new Vets. It really bothered me and I did see that three of them did not return the next day, which was too bad.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:45 AM
Pointman69

I was terrified when I saw her singing to individuals, but there was nothing I could do about it. My wife had her wall up too. She was sitting on the isle and I sighed with relief when the singer passed us the first time. On the next song, she made eye contact and I knew I was going to be embarrassed.

My wife said she could hold up her wall until that singer looked straight into her eyes and gave that portion of her song to us.

It was intense and intimate. I guess most of us don't want to be touched unless we have control of the situation and feel safe. I do feel God was in control when I looked into her eyes, but I also have to say I didn't grab hold of that trust until the very last second.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Wild Trapper

That'd really be strange. Can't say what I'd a done. Been many times I wanted to tell people to get out of my face, not just at church, been a few times I did.

One time a preacher found out I was Vietnam vet and started blowing smoke at me. Really got to me, just shut him out. Kind of like mentally put him on ignore. Whenever he visits our church, I avoid any interaction.

Talk about triggers... This veterans day week has been unusually tough on me for some reason. Been short with my wife, zoned out whenever I could and no desire to leave the house. Tomorrow (Sunday) I have to run the power point for the church service. Not looking forward to that. I know I should be excited about doing it, as there is not much that I can do better at church. Tried preaching back a few years, PTSD caused to much conflict, - mind goes blank, etc. Teaching Sunday school not much better, causes stress overload.

Sorry to dump this on you guys, no one else seems to get it. VA is little help, counselor I see doesn't even claim to believe in God.