Go Back   Point Man Ministries > PTSD
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2005, 10:18 PM
ReconSGT_OIF

Just heard this on newsradio...

Hello all you happy people. I just heard a tidbit on the radio tonight that the VA is being forced to review some 50,000 records of people with PTSD and their ratings... apparantly there is some question concerning the scale used and the tests and surveys used... Does anyone else know anything about this? I think it was just announced today, but I wanted to get the rumor mill stopped before it stops. Is this going to be good or bad for us? I rely on VA disability for PTSD for a good part of my total income and I am hoping and praying this may HELP my rating. Please help us understand if you can. Thanks
Old 08-11-2005, 10:30 PM
ReconSGT_OIF

Blue Re: Just heard this on newsradio...

Ok, just pulled it off the net here have a look at this.

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will conduct a year-long review of 72,000 insurance claims from veterans who now get disability payments for post-traumatic stress disorder, the Associated Press reported Thursday.

An internal VA review found inconsistencies in the way the claims were decided, the wire service said. Many cases reportedly were approved even with a lack of medical evidence.

The investigation will cover claims approved between 1999 and 2004 for veterans who now receive the full monthly disability benefit for PTSD of $2,299, a VA spokesman told the AP.

Last year, the VA spent about $4.3 billion on PTSD payments, not including medical care, the wire service said.

The mental illness, characterized by symptoms like flashbacks and nightmares, is subjective and can be difficult to quantify, the AP said.

-----

Copyright 2005 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.