Go Back   Point Man Ministries > PTSD
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2005, 07:04 PM
ReconSGT_OIF

Biggrin "New Guys"...

Well, I am submitting my paperwork for outpost leader here in scenic, flat Oklahoma City, OK. As some of you know, and others can tell by my screen name, I am what some call "new guys". That being, I am around 30 years old and an Iraqi Freedom veteran. What this thread is intended to be about is finding more newer guys to reach. I have met few here, I am a college student and occasionally we vets stand out in the crowd by wearing a PT shirt with the sleeves ripped off, or a pair of desert DCU's made into cutoff shorts, or by affixing patches to our backpacks. It identifies us. What I am wanting to do is find these new guys that are reluctant to talk to the older generation vets for whatever reason it may be. God has really helped me to cope with the symptoms of PTSD on a daily basis and if anyone knew me 1 1/2 years ago, the contrast to today is astronomical...

...and there we have it ladies and gents... Marc has lost his train of thought ONCE AGAIN...

I apologise. I guess what im trying to say is that if anyone needs help with perspective or something let me know. Yeah that sounds about right.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:30 AM
snowyowl

Re: "New Guys"...

Marc, welcome aboard here.
To me you've got the right approach and the heart for the ministry here. Chuck Dean's books are good and you can read them for free on his website.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:26 AM
ILOVEMYVET

Hi Marc,

My name is Heather and my husband Larry served in Desert Storm and Operation Restore Hope. He was Navy 1989-1993. We live in Stillwater and are interested in building our network of Vet and Vet wife friends in the area.

Larry spent 7 weeks in an inpatient treatment program in Topeka, KS for PTSD and got home last weekend. Pointman has been instrumental in his treatment and we would like continue being involved.

Please email us and we can exchange information and maybe be of some assistance in this area with your outpost.

Heather
okstatebutterfly@yahoo.com
Old 08-04-2005, 06:06 PM
ReconSGT_OIF

Now, let me direct your attention to the bottom of the main page...

..where the morning coffe used to be we now have a section called OIF/Enduring Freedom. Lets keep these new guys up in our prayers. I believe they will start coming to us more as word continues to get out there. Everyone have a great weekend!
Old 08-04-2005, 06:07 PM
ReconSGT_OIF

...And, welcome Larry and Heather! I seem to have gotten scatterbrained and forgotten my manners. I didnt intentionally miss your post. :)
Old 08-04-2005, 07:06 PM
EmandNsmom

Dog Re: "New Guys"...

Hello there and Welcome to you both! My name is Stephanie and I am married to Marc. :D He was in the Army a total of 8 years. We've been married for almost 10 and have 3 spunky but wonderful children. I look forward to chatting with you and if you need anything just let me know!

In Christ,
stephanie
Old 08-05-2005, 05:18 AM
ILOVEMYVET

Thank you for the great outreach!! Larry and I are looking forward to building long lasting friendships with Pointman members, couples and families!

He is still going through his adjustment period after getting out of treatment but is doing the best he can. I am so proud of him for facing his trauma, coming to terms w/ it and allowing the forgiveness that starts with God to begin changing his heart.

He will always be struggling w/ PTSD but with the support of other Vets and his family I know he will be in a safe place and he is starting to believe that too. God continues to do for Larry what Larry cannot do for himself and it is a blessing to be able to be a part of that. Although sometimes VERY stressful !

Thanks again for your friendship...Heather
Old 08-05-2005, 08:48 AM
ReconSGT_OIF

Hi Heather! First, I want to say, LOL! I loved your little smilies.
I hope you and Larry find a place of solitude and support here. I am glad to hear that Larry is doing better. I'm really excited to see where God is gonna take this site and families. I look forward to getting to know you guys better!

In Christ,
Stephanie
Old 08-05-2005, 08:50 AM
ReconSGT_OIF

Oops! Forgot to log Marc out! Oh well.. I guess we are one anyway so it doesn't matter!

Stephanie
Old 08-06-2005, 11:47 AM

Don Dodson is on a distinguished road

Welcome Heather and Larry!!! I believe God does a lot of work through this website. And wonderful news, Marc, commiting to an Outpost! I felt God's leading to start an Outpost in La Mesa (CA) and although one of our founding attendees moved to Iowa, there are 3 or 4 pretty regular attenders. We had our first Operation Pizza Lift (since we military types love initials, its "OPL" ... ) in July and we have enough money and commitment for people to to OPL-II on August 31st! Remember, it's not about quantity it's about quality. God bless you all in your journeys.

WELCOME HOME!

Don Dodson, Outpost Leader, La Mesa, CA
Vietnam 1969-1970
PointManMinLaMesa@NorthernTrail.net
Old 08-12-2005, 07:24 PM
charlie wardog

Cross Glow Lg Clr 2 Re: "New Guys"...

Welcome NEWBIES! I have not been here ina while but want to welcome everyone who is new. My wife and I have been married 16 years and we have 4 kids. When I started the Newark, Ohio Outpost I thought it was to help others but I found out it was to help me just as much. I do not suffer from PTSD but dealt with depression for years.

We have tried lots of things in Newark to get things going. the best is word of mount and try to pal up with the VVA, VFW or Legion.

Again, welcome from Matt and Lynn, AJ1(AManda Jordan), AJ2(Aaron Jacob), AJ3(Abi Jean), AJ4(Alexander Joshua) and AJ the dog.

Old 08-12-2005, 07:41 PM
Stickthrower

ReconSGT IOF,

WELCOME ABOARD!!!
Glad to have some of the "new blood" aboard to help the newest bunch of vets returning from H@ll. I know a few here and am having a hard time reaching them. I guess to them being a Viet Nam Vet & 54 yrs old makes me a "old fart" that doen't understand what they went through. However, I will not give up! I would appreciate any words of wisdom you might send my way in dealing with the OIF vets. I know one in particular that is very special to me, his father is a Chaplin/close friend of mine. He is dealing with an enormous amount of guilt and in a real tailspin, & just got a letter from Uncle Sam telling him to stand by as he may be recalled to active duty due to recruiters not making quotas. Trust me, he is hurting and needs help, however, he just shines me on and will not talk.