Go Back   Point Man Ministries > PTSD > Spirituality Issues and PTSD
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spirituality Issues and PTSD This is a Forum to discuss spirituality issues and their relationship to PTSD and everyday life

Old 07-20-2005, 08:55 PM
Administrator

danausmc is on a distinguished road
It ain't about who got a parade

When I came home from Vietnam, my cousin, a WW2 Vet invited me to a VFW meeting and I was all but ignored because I was not in a “real” war and so how could I have any kind of problem? All these guys stuck to each other like glue and pretty much ignored the “new” Vets. And you all remember how it felt. I see the same ‘new guys” thirty five years later with the same baloney coming out of their mouths. How in the world can you say you support the troops and then ignore them when they get home?

Except for Hue City, this is the most intense house to house fighting since World war Two. Seems to me that no matter how many are killed, the survivors have an obligation to each other and to our posterity to insure the “new guys” don’t go through the same stuff our dads, grandfathers and ourselves had to endure …

So to all you “NEW GUYS”…. Welcome Home, and thank you for a job well done. Your sacrifice is deeply appreciated here.

My great grand father was a Marine in 1/5 during WW1. He died while I was in Vietnam and I looked forward to talking to him but never got the chance. His father in law was in an infantry unit that followed after the “Charge of the Light Brigade” in the Crimean War.

I guess what I’m saying is this, every warrior from every conflict has or had someone from a previous war that had it “far worse” and throw it in their face. THE TRAUMA OF WAR IS THE TRAUMA OF WAR, no matter what.

Our military has been called on time and time again to enforce our foreign policy and protect our interests, so there are hundreds of less known or too soon forgotten engagements Americans and her allies soldiers have lost their lives or are still unaccounted for.

Who remembers the Marines lost over China in 1958? The USS Cole is becoming a memory too….what about all the pilots lost in spy planes in the “cold” war? Or those lost along the Berlin Wall or the DMZ in Korea? You can all name some incident in which our Marines and soldiers, sailors and airmen have lost their lives in the defense of our freedoms, even standing watch right now so you can sleep tonight.

I say again to all of you, new and old alike….Semper Fideles and Thank you for a doing what others failed to do.

WELCOME HOME.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:48 PM
Reconvic

Re: It ain't about who got a parade

Dana you know if we don't only the famlies will, everyone else is to wrapped up in there own little worlds. We can't let them go thru what we came home to, they are our hero's now, we will back them for life!
Semper Fi Vic
Old 07-22-2005, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconvic
Dana you know if we don't only the famlies will, everyone else is to wrapped up in there own little worlds. We can't let them go thru what we came home to, they are our hero's now, we will back them for life!
Semper Fi Vic
What I know Vic, is this, the Bible says the devil has come to rob kill and destroy. It goes on to say that I (Jesus) have come to give you life, and life more abundantly. We can't let that same devil rob, kill and destroy these guys without a fight. Every Vietnam Veteran has the experience of 30 plus years at their disposal to come along side these "new guys" and give them a hand. Maybe this is the answer to the question "why am I here?", or "why did I survive?"

By the way, glad to see you posting.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Pointman69

Dana - you are so right. One of the five or six Iraqi vets I've had the privilage to talk with has already hit the wall. He feels he doesn't fit in normal life anymore, he's afraid to leave the house, he can't talk to his wife, he's changed but dosen't know how or what to do about it. Fortunately, he has come to our local vet center seeking help.

I've talked to him briefly, three or four times, but I need to have a much longer time to just listen and let him know I understand.

He's a christain. I've invited him to Point Man a couple times, he may not be ready to face the "all the old men" who went through a different war. Pray for Tim -

Thanks for your heart toward the new guys.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:42 AM
Reconvic

I am heading to the VA hospital the next 2 days and fully understand and agree with you both. I almost cry when I talk to some of the kids that come home now, most are confused.As us they have there pride, but don't know what the world is going to be like handicapped, and I haven't the heart to tell them. I just try to tell them you made it back there is a reason for that, you must find it. Keep on pushing!
Semper Fi Vic
Old 07-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconvic
I am heading to the VA hospital the next 2 days and fully understand and agree with you both. I almost cry when I talk to some of the kids that come home now, most are confused.As us they have there pride, but don't know what the world is going to be like handicapped, and I haven't the heart to tell them. I just try to tell them you made it back there is a reason for that, you must find it. Keep on pushing!
Semper Fi Vic
Vic, sorry about the hospital stay, but you guys are right.
We are not that old and the only thing different is the vocabulary....like whats "down Range"?? On the other hand whats your skid lid? And Ham and MF's?? Whats an MRE??
we can all learn from each other, but there is only one lasting solution and it ain't "dangle"....take the easy way out.......
All of us have so much in common and we need to share it....not blow these guys off.....like somehow their experience is less than that of their predecessors......which is not the case.....Marines have 230 years of tradition behind them to live up to.....just like the other services.....and these men and women have added another page ......
S/F
Dana
Old 07-28-2005, 10:51 AM
Reconvic

Cross Glow Lg Clr 2 Re: It ain't about who got a parade

Hi everyone I was released late afternoon yesterday. Besides all the testing that was done on me, which maybe in a month I will find out the results I had a chance to talk to vets,young ones. They seem to be thinking in all diferent directions. Some are angry, some are overwhelmed at what happen to them and don't know what lies ahead. I have had many of those feelings since the Nam, Still do. It is very hard to tell them it will be OK when it won't!
I told them take it day by day, God brought them back for a reason. On a last note many now as in Nam resent having to gone in. May St Jude help guide them.
Semper Fi Vic
Old 08-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Stickthrower

Angeldevil Re: It ain't about who got a parade

Guys we have to work on these young Vets! I have two here in Ellensburg that are up against the wall. They are just as lost as we ever were if not worse. One of the young men is very special to me as he is the son of the Chaplin that helped save me. He is floundering, knows he has problems, and now has received a letter from Dear Old Uncle Sam telling him that he may be recalled to active duty due to manpower shortages in the Infantry! He was previously infantry and is about to go over the deep end. He is just like us in thinking that no one understands "His War". He now will not go to meetings, basically gives me lip service, and is drowning his sorrows. He told his Dad that he has quit drinking, but I saw him on Saturday morning and he looked hung over to me. I would welcome any suggestions as how to reach him. I've basically tried everything I know. I have even offered to go drinking with him, however I would only drink pop, but still he gives me lip service. I guess the age difference seems to great to him. He saw some heavy combat, and lost some friends, one of whom he blames hiself for. Definately gets me angry when I know what most of the problem is, but can't seem to reach him!
Old 08-10-2005, 12:29 PM
Pointman69

Wow, can I idetify with this kid. Don't know if it will do any good, but if you send me his address (or yours) I will send out a copy of my stories which sound real similar to his experiances.

You know, God had to let some of us reach the end of our understanding before we were ready to listen to Him.