Go Back   Point Man Ministries > PTSD > Spirituality Issues and PTSD
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spirituality Issues and PTSD This is a Forum to discuss spirituality issues and their relationship to PTSD and everyday life

Old 05-24-2005, 08:02 AM
Pointman69

Coming out of the cave

OK - focusing on myself is not satisfying and I feel less connected with Jesus. The more I look at myself, the bigger my problems seem; the bigger they seem, the more complex and unsolvable they become. Who can deliver me from this bondage of sin?

I know the answer - we all do. I want the closeness with Jesus back. I want to die to my old nature and trust Him once more. He has given me His spirit and made a new creation in me. That's where life is. I want to live, not survive. I want hope, not dispare.

It was a bad decision to walk into that cave - I thought it would help. It has made me realize once again that I don't have the answers, but that's OK.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:21 AM
0369/0341

ajusmc is on a distinguished road
Re: Coming out of the cave

Pointman, the demons in our own past keep taking into the cave. The Lord has shown the light that will guide us out if we so choose to follow it. Over the last 50 years of my life I don't know how many times that I followed the light out of the cave, but seemed always to push the Lord aside once I was freed again. A few years ago I started up 3 of these Pointman Chapel's at different chat sites, then this site. When I looked into the control panel, I wondered what I had gotten myself into, didn't understand a thing. The Lord guided me thru the whole thing, in the matter of a few days the site was up and running.

I still see that cave everyday, knowing how easy it would be to walk into it again. With keeping Jesus in my heart instead of my back pocket, it's gotten easier to turn my back on that cave.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:41 AM
Pointman69

Thanks for sharing your heart - it means a lot to me.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:30 PM
Administrator

danausmc is on a distinguished road

ahh the cave.

Seems to me that if we are to stay in the cave...as you have pointed out....we will never see what or hear what God has for us. Can't see the light in the darkness of the cave......there is another thread about being "hurt" by the church. There is a church on every corner. Sometimes you hear stuff you dont want to deal with so one blames the church. Its only an organization. They all claim to be run by God, but actions do speak louder than words. Not everyone will always like us. Thats not another reason to run to the cave.
The thing to really cling to is Jesus. Find like minded believers and hang with them. Might be in a Pointman meeting, might be in a church, might be a couple internet friends, but there are people you can talk to and God will put them in your path. Don't get too comfortable anywhere, as you can become complacent....friends that challenge you are the ones you want.
My thinking has certainly been challenged even here in these forums and has shown me many things I need to work on.....
S/F
Old 06-09-2005, 09:06 PM
Stickthrower

Classic Re: Coming out of the cave

Sometimes the cave starts to looking very inviting to return to. I get so tired of the hassel of dealing with people who are so full of themselves. You know the ones I mean, they are a legend in their own mind, just ask them, the typical government employee who thinks you are asking for special favors when all you wanted was them to just do their job, nothing special, just their job. But I guess making themselves feel important to themselves is what life is all about to them. Making people jump through hoops just so they can feel important.

Just when I get to thinking that things are starting to look up and there is a light at the end of the tunnel, along comes some self rightious individual who needs to yank someones chain just because they can.

Kind of makes you want to crawl back into the "CAVE" and just be left alone! But I keep telling myself that the Lord has a better life planned for me, I just need to be patient, continue my prayers, and believe in Him.

He who has answered my prayers, sent guardian angels to me in my greatest time of need, stood by me when everyone else forsake me, who always is there when I need him and all I have to do is call him on bended knees.

I guess the last few days have been what was termed by someone else here "PTSD DAYS & NIGHTS".

Things have actually been going very well and l was starting to believe in others when I got the carpet jerked out from under me today by someone I had previously thought was a real friend. I guess I just got a reality check and a good reminder that my "real true friends" are as always, my brothers here. You guys and my old buddies in the Nam where my only true friends that I can count on and I just got a good reminder not to trust someone other than my brothers.

It is amazing to me that the only people you can really trust are the ones who have nothing but themselves to give. The ones who having almost lost everything and saw so much death and destruction are the only "Real People" left in this world of sin.

I make a special prayer every night for all of you asking the Lord to have mercy on us and to take control back in His hands of our lives. For He is the only one that is completely pure of heart and has our best interest at heart.

I know Satan is forever hard at work trying to undo all our good deeds and work, and most of all waiting for us to show a second of weakness so he can tell us his lies again. We just need to stick together and pull security for each other all the time.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:15 PM
Stickthrower

Cart127 Re: Coming out of the cave

The cave just looks better and better! Couple of days ago I mentioned how someone I had believed to be a friend had proven me wrong. Well today I found out how bad I had been stabbed in the back. Just when you begin to trust again you find out that your trust was misplaced, as usual. It just never seems to end! I guess I am giving myself a pity party.

At least there is someone to trust, and He has never let me down! I believe the only person I trust anymore is the Lord. At least he never lies to me, misleads me, violates my trust, or deserts me in my time of need.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:01 AM
Pointman69

Frank - I've been getting ready for a month long vacation and haven't kept up with you guys. Hang in there, as always.

God helped me in this area of trust, disappointment, and betrayal when He told me, "What do you expect? Most people are not saved and even those who are still walk in the flesh most of the time." Then He gave me peace that it was OK to lower my expectations of people. We are all sinners, and God knows that - he's in control.

My expectations were unrealistic - I saw so much of the dark side, it has driven me to seek righteousness with a passion. My mistake is that I project that strong desire for God's ways onto everyone else - most don't have that same passion. When they don't meet my expectations, I get disappointed and depressed because the world is not going the way I know it should.

It's God's problem, not mine. I have to give it up to Him or it will fester into bitterness in my heart. I've got enough problems, when God has given me peace to let go of one I have to grab the opportunity.

His peace passes our understanding - thank God.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:20 PM
Stickthrower

Cross Glow Lg Clr 2 Re: Coming out of the cave

Thanks Pointman69, I needed that. Like you said I set my standards way to high for people, and when they fail I get bitter, depressed, and angry. But, I guess I was being unrealistic in expecting a fellow officer to be up front and honest.

I just have to let it go and move on with my life. I have been making a lot of progress here lately in getting my life back together. I just have to focus on the positive, and let God take care of the rest.

For in him I have total faith, I will survive, and best of all I know he has a better place for me when I finally go home!
Thanks for the support!
Old 06-27-2005, 02:48 AM
pointmanben

"The cave just looks better and better! Couple of days ago I mentioned how someone I had believed to be a friend had proven me wrong. Well today I found out how bad I had been stabbed in the back. Just when you begin to trust again you find out that your trust was misplaced, as usual. It just never seems to end! I guess I am giving myself a pity party.

At least there is someone to trust, and He has never let me down! I believe the only person I trust anymore is the Lord. At least he never lies to me, misleads me, violates my trust, or deserts me in my time of need
."

Been there, done that. It's really a bummer when your trust is violated by our "true friend". We have to keep limping along to God's cadence as only HE can heal this wound. We must remember to keep praying that God will lead our friends out of the cave too.