Go Back   Point Man Ministries > PTSD
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2005, 04:52 PM
snowyowl

Angel Flying Sword Ty Clr Has PTSD dinged you out of a Job?

I've been curious if part of my problem looking for work has been my PTSD and Depression. If it can be so apparent on the tests, resumes, interviews that they'll look at others and not me. Mind you I've never had history of alcohol or drug usage. It's been in essence three years since employed. I'm still appealling SSDI.
Has anyone else had this experience in the last 2-5 years?
Old 01-10-2005, 07:49 PM
ReconSGT_OIF

Re: Has PTSD dinged you out of a Job?

Yep. I was recently denied for a job at the Goodyear tire plant in Lawton Oklahoma. The interview went really great until he asked why I left the Military. So I told him it was a medical disgharge for PTSD from OIF... and you could tell by the look on his face that he couldnt get me out of the interview room fast enough while still saving face. Thats not the only time recently that I feel potential employment has been crashed. Here is my question... Is it legal to not tell the whole truth about my history to get a job? Because in Oklahoma, I can only draw unemployment for a year. And the VA's piddley 10% they slapped on ptsd gives me a whole $106 a month( wooooooo! ) Not enough to provide for a family of 5. Going to my Voc-Rehab counseling tomorrow morning to see if they will let me go to school to learn something else. Not a whole lot that a burned out artilleryman can do in todays job market.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:55 AM
Shawn Powell

Biggrin Re: Has PTSD dinged you out of a Job?

Hey OIF,

You thought about Federal Law Enforcement?
United States Border Patrol... next open period for applying is in March 05....

Shawn.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:49 PM
ReconSGT_OIF

well, how deep do they look into your file... Before I was discharged, my psychiatrist put me on profile that said "no access to weapons or ammunition". I have a feeling that would be frowned upon when looked at for a job like that.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:26 PM
0369/0341

ajusmc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconSGT_OIF
well, how deep do they look into your file... Before I was discharged, my psychiatrist put me on profile that said "no access to weapons or ammunition". I have a feeling that would be frowned upon when looked at for a job like that.
DOT airport screeners, if I remember right they do not require weapons.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:50 PM
snowyowl

What about SSDI?
Old 02-28-2005, 08:22 PM
ReconSGT_OIF

Bounce Re: Has PTSD dinged you out of a Job?

SSDI? Well, ive applied for that too, but it looks like we'll have to wait for all the red tape from the beurocratic system to get that started. If they are anything like the VA and just deny people the first time around just because they either hate people, or are too backed up to worry about new claims... then I may have to wait for a while before i hear anything.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Stickthrower

Dog Re: Has PTSD dinged you out of a Job?

Well as of 1200 hrs today I am unemployed. I was terminated by the County due to my PTSD. Reason stated was the Dept Shrink decided in her infinate wisdom I was not able to deal with stress. Despite the fact that my medical Doctor, Therapist and Phsyciatrist have released me to return to duty. Oh well, I guess her 20 minute conversation with me holds more credibility that three other doctors, especially since two of the three I have known for years. Go figure.

Well now it's back to the streets looking for work. Hopefully God's plan for me is not to far out in the future. I have given control of my life over to the Lord as I'm sure He can run it better than I ever could! For I know when I was in control that my life was a nightmare.

I am using my tools for sure. I will not let this get me down! My best tool is believing in the Lord and keeping my faith in Him. For I know his plan is much better that any I could ever come up with on my own.

We are having our first ever Point Man Chapter meeting in Ellensburg, Wa on April 7th. Very appropriate timing I would say!

Brothers I would ask for your prayers for my family and I that work comes along soon. God Bless you all for your support.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Dean Black

Angeldevil Re: Has PTSD dinged you out of a Job?

Hey Recon, you can go see a Congressional Rep and ask them for help. That's what they are elected for. Let them get you registered as unemployable then the Veterans Administration will have to pay you at least 60% Disability; then Social Security has to pay you disability. Take advantage of the Politician for a change. They are Employees of the people and in my opinion aren't Qualified to wipe the sweat off a Vets Balls. God has a plan for each of us and I know He will provide for us. God bless and know that I am praying for you and Stickthrower.
Dean
Old 04-02-2005, 07:22 AM
Pointman69

Frank - are you service connected for PTSD? If so, I would think it's an ideal time to apply for an upgrade based on the vast knowledge of your department shrink. Get a copy of her decision and go see your Veteran's Service Officer. Use this disappointment as a tool that God has put in your hands. Apply for unemployability at the same time and it could easily bring you up to 100%.

Keep the faith - there's no one else worthy of total trust. You love Him and are called according to His purpose, so He will use all things for your good.

Remember, He chose us long before we made that one good decision. It was His choice that means we are called according to His purpose. He knows our understanding will flip-flop depending on our preception of current circumstances. So, He didn't leave it up to us to screw things up. He is working out His purpose in you every day, even through the times that our understanding see as so difficult.

You know it takes fertilizer to make things grow. Let this **** give a shot of energy to your faith. God loves it when we can thank Him in all things. He also understands the weakness of our flesh when we fail. He is in the process of exchanging our old view of life with the reality of life in His spirit - you are a winner in His mind, no matter what.

God simply says, "OK, here's the situation, we can do this the easy way, or the hard way." He's teaching us to dhoose the easy way. He will not stop that work in us until the day Jesus returns. Thank you Lord!
Old 04-02-2005, 08:07 AM
Stickthrower

Banghead Re: Has PTSD dinged you out of a Job?

Pointman69,
You brought out some good points. I am filling out the paperwork for a VA claim at this time. Our first Pointman meeting is for 4/7/05 and there is supposed to be someone there that is a Guru on VA claims. So I will be prepared for him so I can pick his brain.

I have already requested my therapist get copies of all three of the Dept Shrinks's reports where she has stated that my PTSD is Army related and prevents me from returning to any form of Law Enforcement,so I have it in writting.

On Monday I will also go to file for unemployment. I am also contacting the County HR office to see what I else is available as well as cashing in my retirement fund-that should help feed the family/bills for awhile.

Fortunately I will still have medical for myself and children thru Jun 30 as I was on FMLA. So that also helps.

I am looking at this as a chance of a lifetime to get my life on track with the Lord and discover what He has planned for me. Last night I had a long prayer with the Lord in which I thanked him for giving me this chance at a new life.

I am keeping my faith and will use the "setback" as a new door opening in His plan for my family.

Thanks for the support & I would ask that you continue to pray the Lord gives me the strength, wisdom, and guidance needed for this new path He has chosen.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:37 PM

Don Dodson is on a distinguished road

Frank: Be careful before you cash out your retirement funds. If you can hang in there until your personnel appeals play out you may get a "reasonable accommodation" in some other job classification that allows you to keep building credits for the future. Maybe not what you want right now, but governments are usually more likely to follow the Americans with Disabilties Act than private companies. More later. PRAYING FOR ALL YOU GUYS! I was let go in 1986. Felt like I had been crushed, but looking back it was the best thing that could have happened. Keep your compass clean!

Don Dodson
Old 04-02-2005, 05:02 PM
snowyowl

Stickthrower I was dinged out of US Customs and WA Dept of Corrections because of PTSD and Depression due to shrinkshrink. I tried to get a medical exemption with Customs alas no avail and WA DOC simply didn't go any further than what the shrinkshrink said.
What about working in support role for LE? Hopefully the same criteria isn't used or I'm down the tube again.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:17 PM
Stickthrower

Confused Re: Has PTSD dinged you out of a Job?

Snowyowl,
I don't know about a LE Support officer role. It was not offered to me where I work. But I would not think it should matter since in no way shape or form would you be responsible for inmates or dealing with a "High Stress" situation. But I would not mention the PTSD or Depression unless asked. Goes back to the old "Didn't ask so don't volunteer".

I got the impression my boss just wanted me out the door. So I am trying some new avenues, medical retirement, VA disability, ect.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:05 PM

Recon Sgt OIF said: "The interview went really great until he asked why I left the Military. So I told him it was a medical discharge for PTSD from OIF... and you could tell by the look on his face that he couldn't get me out of the interview room fast enough while still saving face. ... Here is my question... Is it legal to not tell the whole truth about my history to get a job?"

As a former HR person, here is my opinion: A potential employer is entitled to truthful answers to questions. God gives us no exemption from that. They are entitled to our best estimate of our ability to fulfill the "essential functions" of the job, "with or without reasonable accommodation." That's the law of the land. Someone told me one time that what sinks more job applicants is their nervous desire to keep talking. Just answer the questions! BUT, answer them in your own way. A question like "why did you leave the military?" is a valid question and can be answered in a number of ways:

1) As much as I loved serving my country in a time of need, I believe it is better for my family and me to serve in a civilian capacity. For example, this job you are interviewing for give me an opportunity to serve by .... (fill in the essential functions). (You have taken the punch and turned it to your favor, like verbal Judo.)

2) (Looking down at the floor for a second, taking a deep breath, then looking the interviewer right in the eye) War is a terrible, yet strangely fulfilling experience. I have learned that I am trustworthy under fire, able to make quick decisions when other people's lives depend on me, gather information quickly and stay alive. But it came with a high price for me and my family. (depending on the interviewer's facial expression, maybe pause right here. Let him/her ask the follow up question, but I'd be willing to bet you a cup of coffee he/she won't ask the follow up question; they will be ready to cry for you. They may go ahead and ask, "What kind of discharge did you receive?" Answer them and pause again.

3) I have been wounded. But I have carefully examined the duties for this job and have absolutely no doubt in my mind I can master this job rapidly and become a productive member of your team. As a Non-Commissioned Officer, I learned to become a team leader, and I know the best leaders are also great followers. If you give me the opportunity to serve with your team, I know you will be pleased. (notice how quickly we got off the subject of disability???)

Guys, I wish I could be there to face-to-face encourage each of you during these awful periods of uncertainty! But as one of you pointed out, these are the times we can use the feelings of rejection, fear, uncertainty and anger to grow closer and more dependent upon God our Heavenly Father. We are all in the process of being de-earthed and made closer to the image of Christ, our Elder Brother and role model. Get close to a small group of people in your town that will pray with and for you. If you were in San Diego, we'd be having lunch or a family dinner every little while to keep your nutritional intake and morale up. Seek out the social service agencies whose job it is to match you up with various assistance programs and maximizing your benefits. Make sure you don't forget to get treatment specific to PTSD. Somewhere else at this site I posted www.emdr.com, one of the most helpful treatments I have had, utilizing God's design specs for our brains.

Although it doesn't feel like it, you are not alone!!!! Many of us spent years struggling with jobs and circumstances until we stepped back and listened to God, through many different people. Don't isolate yourself or become too self-absorbed. Now that you may have more time on your hands, fill some of that time with public service, volunteering, visiting shut-ins or imprisoned, helping with a Bible study, washing dishes, trimming weeds for elderly, etc. etc. Every town has needs and maybe you are the one God has destined to have some time right now to meet someone else's needs. What I know for sure is that when I am willing to bless God by helping someone else, first, He always finds a way to bless me.

Praying for you all. WELCOME HOME!

Don Dodson
DodsonOboeVet@NorthernTrail.net
Old 04-04-2005, 09:55 AM
ReconSGT_OIF

Well, since my last post in here I actually landed a job. Its thru a personnel service and when the "question" was asked, what I told the interviewer was that i recieved an honorable discharge. Then she asked if there was a chance I would be called up again, and i assured her that I had done my mandatory 8 years and my contract was completed. So ive been here for 2 weeks now. On a higher note I have an appointment with the VA VocRehab people tomorrow morning. Lets see what they offer me. My dream is to learn prosthetics and go to work for the VA and keep my time in service. So please pray for me tomorrow.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:34 PM
snowyowl

Well got something back from Federal Civil Service that says I'm qualified but not among the best qualified for the job so I take that as "Nice try, no such luck, try again".
Getting paperwork together for VA Pension non-service connected-What the hay...
Old 04-08-2005, 07:09 PM

Snowyowl: With every "no thanks" you get closer to the "you are just what we are looking for." Don't lose heart, God has a plan for you. Are you getting enough feed back during the interview process to figure out what is sinking you?

Don Dodson
Old 04-11-2005, 02:02 PM
O'BOOT

To All Of You Who Have Had A Hard Time After Gettin Out Of The Corps..
Ie:finding Work
I Jest Want You All To Know That I Have Been There I Frought Va For My Non-service Pension So I Know Jest How The System Can And Will Bring You Down
But Try As Hard As It Is To Understand It Is There Job[v.a.] To Keep Up Away From Any The Benifet's You Are Entilled To. Jest Don't Give Up.. I Am Hear Praying For You All[even After I Have Been Told I Can Not Help Becouse I Am A Morman] Which Has Nothing To Do With You Getting The Help You Need From V.a. Or My Pray's...
Old 04-12-2005, 06:58 AM
charlie wardog

Blue Re: Has PTSD dinged you out of a Job?

VA to Hire 50 New OIF/OEF Outreach Counselors

The Department of Veterans Affairs will hire 50 veterans of Operations Iraqi and Enduring Freedom (OIF/OEF) to provide outreach services to veterans returning from Afghanistan and Iraq. They will join 50 other OIF/ OEF outreach counselors already hired by VA. The outreach counselors will brief servicemen and women leaving the military about VA benefits and services available to them and their family members. They will also encourage new veterans to use their local Vet Center as a point of entry to VA and its services. The new outreach counselors will be located in the 206 Vet Centers operated by VA throughout the country, especially near military out processing stations.