Go Back   Point Man Ministries > PTSD
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2005, 04:58 AM
0369/0341

ajusmc is on a distinguished road
Re: PTSD : Anger

Stickthrower, check with your local radio and newspapers. Many offer public service announcements at no charge.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:19 PM
Pointman69

Point Man has a video you might use in local churches or bible studies that will let members (including vets) know an outpost is starting up. A testimony or two is an effective addition to the video tape. Ask local radio stations for a "Public Service Announcement" inviting vets to learn God's view of the Vietnam War and His promise to bring each of us through those times that horror and trauma produce.

Anger is a perfect example. It's an absolutely normal reaction for what we've been through. Our worst side was exposed, the War wasn't fair to us. We saw and did things we wouldn't have done if not in that violent, confusing, frustrating, terrifying, (fill in the blank), war. We weren't prepared for it; we weren't warned about the emotional consequences; for years, the VA told us there was no proof of a connetion between Vietnam and our long term problems. We had to push the VA to recognize the connection. Our friends and family think we should "just get over it." Humanity sucks for allowing Vietnam to go as far as it did, there was too much money to be made, too much political power to let go of, too many egoes making decisions for those of us who could only fight and die, or go to jail.

There are any number of real reasons why we feel angry. Eliminating reasons one-by-one can not be accomplished in our lifetime within the confines of our understanding. So we are stuck with unending, unresolved anger, or there's another way than believing there are answers we must understand before giving up our anger.

You see the delema. We're not built to see all the answers, we don't even see the questions in their true context. There's only one who can, He sees the beginning from the end. He sees the right answers to all our questions. He may reveal some or all to us, but knowing He knows, and He will turn all things for our good because we love Him and are called according to His purposes is enough. Anything more is just His mercy and grace for us.

His promises are not conditional once we accept Chrst. He knows exactly when and how many times we have to be presented with the decision to trust in His knowledge or trust in our own, before we finally turn from doing it our way. He has given us the free choice to decide, but He will persist until our habis and our old nature die away.

He will be faithful until they do, just as He was with His chosen people in the wilderness. They physically died because of their hard hearts and unbelief. The new generation got to go into the promised land, not because they were without sin, but because of God's grace and because of His promise to them.

There is always a spiritual parallel to Old Testiment stories - when we believe Jesus paid the price for our unbelief, we are born again and can now walk in the land of His promises. His word says, "old things are passed away, behold all things have become new." It's already happened, we're just learning to trust his promise enough to walk in it.

All of His promises are for us, we were grafted into the vine (Jesus) and God can not lie. Everything He says comes true! The world was created by His word. So were we, born into the world (and the World's understanding), tben born again in the spirit (and God's understanding). He also promises to continue His work in us until the day Jesus returns. He will never allow us to be destroyed, He will keep us in the palm of His hand.

Remember, Jesus did not come into this world to condemn us but to set us free, and who He sets free, is free indeed. Don't argue with God. None of us deserve it, it's a product of His grace and mercy. He doesn't want us to take any credit for doing what only He can do. He wants a humble heart, willing to turn and follow Him when we make all our mistakes. He doesn't count the mistakes - He forgets them when we ask forgiveness. Our flesh and understanding die when we turn to Him who we can't see. Our faith grows as we begin to trust there is a reality beyond our understanding. In that reality, good really does overcome evil, belief conqures fear and produces courage, and love drives out anger.

By the way - I still jump immediately to anger under some stressors. My flesh is tensed to a near breaking point, then I'm embarrased, dissapointed, overwhelmed and discouraged. I really don't want to drop into those deep, never-ending depressions again.

All I can do is reach out desperately for help. If that means swallowing my pride, facing God (who loves me unconditionally) and tell Him I blew it again, ask forgiveness, then believe He turns all things around, well, that's what I have to do. He's even using my anger to clean my heart and draw me closer to Him. Can you believe it?
Old 03-14-2005, 09:49 PM
Stickthrower

Cross Glow Lg Clr 2 Re: PTSD : Anger

Thanks Pointman69,

I was feeling lower than whale s___ & needed to vent to someone who understands. Your point is well taken about asking for forgiveness from Him and to just keep on trying.

Isn't He wonderful!
Old 03-15-2005, 08:31 AM
Pointman69

He will even use our anger to push us closer to Him. He will turn all things for our good, not because we deserve it, but because He promised and because He already sees us at the end of the work He's doing in us. Take hope with you today.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:34 PM

buckshot is on a distinguished road
I seem to be on the edge of 7 or 8 much of the time regarding fuse length. it is always lit and smoldering. With our present political situation and "lords" we "serve" as serfs, 7 goes to 10 in a split second. perhaps this is a "righteous" sort of anger though I know any righteousness is as fithy rags.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Administrator

danausmc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot View Post
I seem to be on the edge of 7 or 8 much of the time regarding fuse length. it is always lit and smoldering. With our present political situation and "lords" we "serve" as serfs, 7 goes to 10 in a split second. perhaps this is a "righteous" sort of anger though I know any righteousness is as fithy rags.
It very well could be. many of the vets that come to our meetings here are on a very short fuse and need some decompression time just to sort things out.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:36 AM

Ptsd

With this ptsd it seems it will always be around. 42 years of decompression is not impossible I guess and HE allows me to still be His.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:57 PM

ptsd affects spousess

this ptsd transfers to a loved one like a cold or influenza can infect a family member. it is insidious like the devil himself.