Go Back   Point Man Ministries > PTSD
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2004, 07:23 AM
Shawn Powell

Bounce PTSD Homework

Here's the new thread... the title is from one of Mic's posts, I'm thinking he'll initiate it from this point, right?

God Bless,

Shawn.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Administrator

danausmc is on a distinguished road
Re: PTSD Homework

I will stand by here, and wait on Mike.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:51 PM
chapmick

Okay troops, I am getting my grid coordinates straight before I fire! Give me another 24 to figure out which part of our homework I will post first. I have collected a variety of materials both from our current group, and the 3 week In-Patient program I completed in December of 2001 at the V.A. Hospital in Tucson, Arizona. This site cannot accept attachments- is that correct? Mic
Old 04-07-2004, 12:32 AM
0369/0341

ajusmc is on a distinguished road

Mic, this forum is set to accept attachments. If you have troubles posting them, I'll see if I can fix the trouble when I get home from work tonight.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:00 PM
chapmick

Since I jsut learned that I can send attachments to the posting, I sending this one forward to see if I did it correctly. The homework material will follow if I am on the right track. Mic
Old 04-07-2004, 10:38 PM
chapmick

The process of abstracting, or of leaving characteristics OUT, is and indespensible convenience when we are ANGRY. It is damnably easy to just say,or think, "I hate incompetence", without ever having to be specific about what emotions were triggered in us-- in the shadow of incompetence. Therefore, our anger overides any and all useful information, and or, calm dialogue, that could enlighten our thoughts about the 'incompetent' and the observer. We spent several sessions deciphering where we were on the "Abstraction Ladder" , when we were mad as hell. If nothing else,it slows down those self-destructive "instant" and "sarcastic" responses that we are so accustomed to spewing forth. We also learned in this exercise,how "sarcasm" is often the flip side of basic hostility, and how often we distance ourselves from our mates and friends with the 'viper tongue' ability to level someone. And then we end up alone and feeling gulity.
So the homework was to sort out the real specifics of what was setting us off, before going to the top of the ladder. A bit much, I know, but then it is hard to share the workings of real live people in a group. Nevertheless, this exercise proved to be useful for all of us.
Again remember Paul's passage in scripture; "In our weakness we come to our full strength" God Bless Veterans
Old 04-09-2004, 07:25 AM
Shawn Powell

Okay... this is making my head hurt a little. If I perceive someone to be an enemy or a problem, if he really pisses me off and the obvious solution is to eradicate said problem... then I need to not look at generalities but specifics? More or less that is what is being said... right?

Shawn.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:59 PM
snowyowl

My head hurts looking at that "thing"
Said cow has been shot and on the barbie! Who wants ribs? Ah, burgers are over there.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:49 AM
Administrator

Banghead Re: PTSD Homework

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyowl
Said cow has been shot and on the barbie! Who wants ribs? Ah, burgers are over there.

Good one Owl, good one.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:40 PM
Trooper

Dog Re: PTSD Homework

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyowl

Shot Cow????

Yea shot cow!!!!

On second thought, I'm sure I was out of town that day. At least that's what my Defence Atourney told me to say.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Confused Re: PTSD Homework

Well now that we are all vying for the title of class clown, this thing makes my head hurt too.

Seems to me that if you step back and look at what sets you off in the first place you can recognize the triggers and rither deal with it by talking it out in a group or one on one, with a close friend that wont let you off when you dance around the issue in the first place.

I think when we see in others what really upsets us about our own selves, we begin to look for and not eliminate those things that are on this ladder.

People around you aint going to change. So if you want to start making life easier for yourself, you only have a couple choices.

I) You have to look at your self
2) really look at yourself
3) Decide if you like being a jerk
4) if you say yes, then do nothing
5) if you say no , you have to change
6) change might only mean you need to change your perspective
7) Change dont mean you have to let others walk all over you
8) there is a lot of things you cannot change, but then there is a lot that you can do about who you are and how you react.
9) the war is with ourselves, not with each other

Someone has posted in this forum some time ago and the gist was that the others were just dancing around the issues and not doing anything positive, or confronting their issues. Now that really made me angry. those were not the exact words, but my recollection of it.

I was on another forum and someone was complaining about the VA. OK, everyone has had a problem there at one time or another. If you watch in some of these threads, only a couple come forward and offer some help, but many others just complain and then say they dont give a damn. I watched as someone offered some information and help and the ones complaining ripped into this person like they were killing their sacred cow.

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THIS FORUM OR THE FEW....

Well if you dont give a damn, shut up and suck it up. Or if you really care, start doing something. You can be part of the problem or part of the solution. Its that simple.

Make a list of what sets you off. See where you can change. Be real. Remember the other person will not change. What will change is your response to any situation, and then their response to you will change because "you" are "different". If they cant see some difference in you, you will never see any change in your interaction with others.

But thats too simple.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Banana Re: PTSD Homework

Besides that , if you start out with a chip or preconceived idea, you will always get bit in the backend. Its important to be cautious, but not to the point of paranoia.
Gentle as doves but wise as serpents?
Where have I heard that before?
Too much dove or too much snake makes you vulnerable either way.

Now my head really hurts.

Thanks for starting this out Mike. I see a lot of potential here.

S/F
Dana
Old 04-10-2004, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Bounce Re: PTSD Homework

But then this ladder is good for sorting out where and what set you off, where do you actually confront the anger in the first place?

Looks to me like this process and the one I described only identify symptoms and not causes......like how do you get rid of the anger that is inside of all of us?

Lou hit on it in an earlier post when he said that it is just under the surface/

If the anger was not always present, then the triggers dont matter.

Shawn says sometimes he thinks his prayers only go as far as the ceiling. Anger is still there. What do the shrinks say about that? Anyone know?
I dont..

This is really good....Im going to shut up for awhile and let someone else step in.

Dana
Old 04-10-2004, 03:39 PM
chapmick

WELP as Reagan use to say, I guess I'll try another set of grid coordinates before the next salvo. Thanks Dana, for the bit of praise for those that try. Like I said at the end of the post, it is real hard to share material that is intended for gorup discussion not just for reading. But what the hell, it started discussion alright! So yes Shawn,the thrust of the exercise was to tear away the generalities of our anger and chase down the real specifics of what 'triggers us" When you capture the "trigger' You are halfway there to eliminating the demons of rage. I kind of thought that post was a bit much but I thought I would float it anyhow. "Feedback is the Breakfast of Champions" So thanks all. Funny thing is that one of my 'triggers' used to be the lack of recognition (from others) for the genuine effort that an individual may be putting forth to accomplish any given task. I was always the first to spot the "****bird". Not anymore. The Bible helped with that habit! Now I give a little more consideration to the "capability" factor of who I am dealing with. I basically stopped being a Sergeant!
Old 04-10-2004, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Banana Re: PTSD Homework

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmick
WELP as Reagan use to say, I guess I'll try another set of grid coordinates before the next salvo. Thanks Dana, for the bit of praise for those that try. Like I said at the end of the post, it is real hard to share material that is intended for gorup discussion not just for reading. But what the hell, it started discussion alright! So yes Shawn,the thrust of the exercise was to tear away the generalities of our anger and chase down the real specifics of what 'triggers us" When you capture the "trigger' You are halfway there to eliminating the demons of rage. I kind of thought that post was a bit much but I thought I would float it anyhow. "Feedback is the Breakfast of Champions" So thanks all. Funny thing is that one of my 'triggers' used to be the lack of recognition (from others) for the genuine effort that an individual may be putting forth to accomplish any given task. I was always the first to spot the "****bird". Not anymore. The Bible helped with that habit! Now I give a little more consideration to the "capability" factor of who I am dealing with. I basically stopped being a Sergeant!

Mike, I thought it was really great....there are, or were, twelve people reading this thread as you were writing your response. That is great....if what you have written and what has been said in response, causes just one to re-evaluate and readjust their thinking in a positive manner, YOU have been successful and our goal has been accomplished.

Not a bit much, just lots to digest. lets go to the next step. How did your group finally get to some agreement on this "ladder"??

There is more to it and I think you should keep at it.
Thanks again. I was shocked to see how many were looking when I went to post on another thread.
Good job.
Thanks Mike.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:59 PM
chapmick

Re: PTSD Homework/Dana's List of 9

I really like number 9 on Dana's last list. It is so true that it hurts. The biggest hunk of our anger is "INTRA" personal long before it is INTER-PERSONAL. And I also identify with Shawn's expression of his prayer only going to the 'Ceiling". That is a tough one too, especailly when it leads us back to an undrstanding that it is often our projected anticipation of an answer to our prayer that preceeds 'Gods Will'. The first gets stuck on the ceiling the latter has to be sought.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Re: PTSD Homework/Dana's List of 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmick
I really like number 9 on Dana's last list. It is so true that it hurts. The biggest hunk of our anger is "INTRA" personal long before it is INTER-PERSONAL. And I also identify with Shawn's expression of his prayer only going to the 'Ceiling". That is a tough one too, especailly when it leads us back to an undrstanding that it is often our projected anticipation of an answer to our prayer that preceeds 'Gods Will'. The first gets stuck on the ceiling the latter has to be sought.
real profound Mike.....the first gets stuck on the ceiling....you think its because we dont allow God to be God in our lives?
Old 04-11-2004, 07:37 AM
Trooper

Cross Glow Sm Clr Re: PTSD Homework

If your prayer get stuck on the ceiling, maybe you need to think about tearing the ceiling off. Others did, just to get to Jesus.

Have a Blessed Easter!
Old 04-11-2004, 08:09 AM
Trooper

Dana

I stand corrected about being the Class Clown, and am repentant.

Chapmick

Your grid coordinates are right on target. Fire for effect!
Old 04-11-2004, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Hey, thats a good point Jack. Tear off the ceiling and .........away ya go......probably less chance of bumping your head if the rapture happens right then too!!