Go Back   Point Man Ministries > PTSD
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2008, 01:51 PM
buckshot

Re: Has PTSD dinged you out of a Job?

Almost every job I have had was lost due to not being compliant with some rule with which I disagreed.

How ironic that Jesus has accepted me even when I disobey Him sometimes as well. Bumps in the road, poor judgement, bad decisions are some of the ways this fool learns .
Old 02-25-2008, 07:16 AM
ReconSGT_OIF

Good point, BuckShot. I was thinking about that just the other day... I had 2 jobs since I was discharged from the army in 2003, but the reasons I left them were more due to health reasons due to ignoring my PTSD warning signs and having a nervous breakdown.. But I do see myself having issues with that very thing. I find myself trying to resist authority to some extent. Sometimes I feel as though if I dont totally agree with something, that I can just shrug it off. Its almost as if I refuse to accept someone being in a position over me. In retrospect, that bothers me. I dont want to project that image to others, especially because I'm trying to reach others for Christ.

Just my thoughts. :D
Old 02-25-2008, 09:17 PM

Don Dodson is on a distinguished road

Great to see your post; seems like it has been a long while that I have even stopped by. I am sorry that your health is being impacted by your PTSD. I had a flare up last fall after watching the National Public Broadcasting series on WWII. I OD'd on it watching most nights until well after my biological sleep time. When the former fighter pilot said he had enjoyed a good life, raised a good family, kept the grief stuffed away but he knew that a piece of him had died is a result of the war, I lost it! It still brings tears to my eyes. I was back to late 1990's with bad dreams, edgyness, anti-boss issues, and overwhelming grief.

I started a series of visits through the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) with an LCSW (VA says I don't have PTSD ... ) I learned a lot more this time than I had in previous approaches: less carbohydrates, more protein; admit that I am still effected and be more careful metering my death and war doses, and I tried a series of "guided imagery" (www.healthjourneys.com) to augment my prayer life. Of course, it is very helpful to be married to a classically trained Homeopath who supports me with her love, homeopathic and Bach Flower remedies. In 1999 I had 2 or 3 Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (www.EMDR.com) but didn't seem like it was as bad this time. Both methods are completely compatible with Christian faith.

May God bless you in His work and support your continued recovery. If it is any help, when I begin to rebel at the idiots I get to work for, I try to remember it is not MY call, since I am a slave (bondservant) to Jesus Christ, who has purchased me on the Cross. If He wants to assign me to work with idiots, who am I to object? ... (easier said than for me to do) :(

Don "Oboeman" Dodson
Vietnam 1969-1970
Old 07-07-2009, 10:18 PM
buckshot

I do not think guided imagery is compatible with a walk w/ Christ but then again neither is my poor choice of bad unGodly language of the last couple years.

I know the Holy Spirit is our guide and not a person who takes you down some path that may disappoint.

Jut be careful brother.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:25 PM
buckshot

Biggrin Re: Has PTSD dinged you out of a Job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconSGT_OIF View Post
Yep. I was recently denied for a job at the Goodyear tire plant in Lawton Oklahoma. The interview went really great until he asked why I left the Military. So I told him it was a medical disgharge for PTSD from OIF... and you could tell by the look on his face that he couldnt get me out of the interview room fast enough while still saving face. Thats not the only time recently that I feel potential employment has been crashed. Here is my question... Is it legal to not tell the whole truth about my history to get a job? Because in Oklahoma, I can only draw unemployment for a year. And the VA's piddley 10% they slapped on ptsd gives me a whole $106 a month( wooooooo! ) Not enough to provide for a family of 5. Going to my Voc-Rehab counseling tomorrow morning to see if they will let me go to school to learn something else. Not a whole lot that a burned out artilleryman can do in todays job market.

i would think that would be illegal. Don't vetsget first "dibs" on jobs? You may have a case against this outfit.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:41 PM
buckshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyowl View Post
I've been curious if part of my problem looking for work has been my PTSD and Depression. If it can be so apparent on the tests, resumes, interviews that they'll look at others and not me. Mind you I've never had history of alcohol or drug usage. It's been in essence three years since employed. I'm still appealling SSDI.
Has anyone else had this experience in the last 2-5 years?

I was counselled almost 10 yrs at the vet center. The counsellor never mentioned one time that PTSD may be cause for VA benefits and this after causing my family misery in spite of being Christian. I was employed enough to obtain a small pension after becoming disabled and permanent and totally unemployable. Good vet reps are available to help you obtain appropriate VA compensation if you qualify. It is not easy but God willing it can happen. Thank you for serving and may HE bless you.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:51 PM
buckshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickthrower View Post
Well as of 1200 hrs today I am unemployed. I was terminated by the County due to my PTSD. Reason stated was the Dept Shrink decided in her infinate wisdom I was not able to deal with stress. Despite the fact that my medical Doctor, Therapist and Phsyciatrist have released me to return to duty. Oh well, I guess her 20 minute conversation with me holds more credibility that three other doctors, especially since two of the three I have known for years. Go figure.

Well now it's back to the streets looking for work. Hopefully God's plan for me is not to far out in the future. I have given control of my life over to the Lord as I'm sure He can run it better than I ever could! For I know when I was in control that my life was a nightmare.

I am using my tools for sure. I will not let this get me down! My best tool is believing in the Lord and keeping my faith in Him. For I know his plan is much better that any I could ever come up with on my own.

We are having our first ever Point Man Chapter meeting in Ellensburg, Wa on April 7th. Very appropriate timing I would say!

Brothers I would ask for your prayers for my family and I that work comes along soon. God Bless you all for your support.

It appears you would qualify for a VA claim and have success w/it. Get a good vet rep. DAV, the legion or county vet rep would be great. God bless you.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:22 PM

Don Dodson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot View Post
I do not think guided imagery is compatible with a walk w/ Christ but then again neither is my poor choice of bad unGodly language of the last couple years.

I know the Holy Spirit is our guide and not a person who takes you down some path that may disappoint.

Jut be careful brother.
Buck Shot: How does guided imagery conflict with being guided by the Holy Spirit? It doesn't seem to me that resting comfortably and practicing envisioning the love of God surrounding me is all bad. The participant is fully awake and concious, so I wouldn't be fearful that someone is using subliminal or post-hypnotic suggestion; although I would certainly be cautious about the source of the guided imaging audios. Actually, I DO fall asleep, but that's just me when I get horizontal ... :-)

I'm interested in your view of potential conflict. WELCOME HOME!

Don Dodson
Vietnam 1969-1970
Old 07-11-2009, 08:14 AM
buckshot

welcome home to you as well. In the 1980,s Christians were taught about guided imagery and much info was noised abroad re; this method. Ultimately the choice is individual whether to participate in what may lead you away from Christ rather than closer to Him. When in a ptsd class where these methods are used I personally become more alert to what is being put out and HE never allows sleep so the path a person tries to lead one down never strays fro the straight and narrow. A wide pathe leads to destruction so beware of the path and stay awake. Look up brother from where salvation will yet come.

Homeopathic ( I have learned) means there is nothing in it and no benefit from it as far as guided imagery and other "new age" techniques and foods.

In summery, guided imagery is a "new age" technique. "New age" really means old occultism according those ex practitioners of the same. Hal Lindsey Ministries was explaining much of this in the late 80's .

Hope this was somewhat helpfuf. I would post the lindsey site but am not to puter literate.

Bless you BROther.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:46 PM
buckshot

At the VA near where I live there are group meetings where the therapist explores various aspects of PTSD in a well organized manner. These meetings have been very helpful regarding various aspects of this uncomfortable subject but the problem does not seem to be disappearing even with the excellent work being done to impart understanding about this thing. Anyway, the woman teaching what she has learned makes much sense. IT is much like the Word makes sense. The difficulty is getting beyond self and practicing what is learned.