Go Back   Point Man Ministries > PTSD > Spirituality Issues and PTSD
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spirituality Issues and PTSD This is a Forum to discuss spirituality issues and their relationship to PTSD and everyday life

Old 03-14-2006, 09:58 AM
Pointman69

The Valley of Burnout

I suppose it's stress. I worked two jobs for the last six months and now have switched from a 30 year career to new responsibilities in a slightly different area. I've felt burned out for months, not having anymore to give to anyone. God says, "don't become weary of well doing."

OK - help me out here. I've taken a long time trying to recharge my battaries. This seems to be an acceptable way to avoid admitting I being totally self-centered. I feel guilty. Heck, I am guilty. So, I avoid people - you know the slippery slope form here.

I don't want support for excussing myself from life. Where's the switch to stop?

Thank God, He doesn't change.

Dave

Old 03-16-2006, 06:30 PM
Administrator

danausmc is on a distinguished road
Re: The Valley of Burnout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman69
I suppose it's stress. I worked two jobs for the last six months and now have switched from a 30 year career to new responsibilities in a slightly different area. I've felt burned out for months, not having anymore to give to anyone. God says, "don't become weary of well doing."

OK - help me out here. I've taken a long time trying to recharge my battaries. This seems to be an acceptable way to avoid admitting I being totally self-centered. I feel guilty. Heck, I am guilty. So, I avoid people - you know the slippery slope form here.

I don't want support for excussing myself from life. Where's the switch to stop?

Thank God, He doesn't change.

Dave

Well Dave, what do you think the answer is besides renewing your relationship with Jesus?

Here is what I perceive to be the selfish part for me.....keep giving and when you need something for yourself there is nothing left....you gave it all away. Where is that button?
Everyone wants a piece of you and when you keep giving.....sooner or later its all gone ...this is something we all need to talk about here....we've poured our lives into a situation here in our neighborhood, and its just not working out....the more we support the worse the situation seems. to get......
Old 03-16-2006, 08:40 PM

Don Dodson is on a distinguished road

When I am feeling burned out, restless and over-spent trying to accomplish stuff, I am thankful that Some One reminds me that our primary vocation is to worship HIM. Our jobs, careers, family obligations, neighborhood issues, etc., are simply our "avocations" that sets the stage for our primary mission: obeying God to the best of our abilities wherever He plants us. I guess I console myself that sometimes we are unable to prevent people from doing stupid things, and even harming themselves by not yielding to God's ways. We are His troops and I don't think he wants us spent and worn out trying OUR way to do HIS work. If we are struggling in HIS will, His power and energies will flood us. If we are toiling in our human effort, fatigue will be the only result.

At work, I try to stop worrying about what my boss's next critical remark is going to be, and look forward to the next time my Islamic co-workers and I talk about grace, salvation, a Living Lord who loves us all. (Even the simplist truth that we Christians take for granted brings a comment like, "I didn't know that" about our faith.)

I also realize, as I chronologically 'mature', that I need to be real firm with scheduling down time to recharge physically. "The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still." (Exodus 14:14)

Love you guys! WELCOME HOME!

Don "Oboeman" Dodson
Vietnam 1969-1970
Old 03-20-2006, 08:23 AM
Pointman69

Last week a vet called the Pointman "800" phone number asking for help. Somehow I ended up with his cell number and called back. I briefly shared the Lord with him and set up a lunch meeting for last Saturday.
There was no joy of serving, only an obligation I couldn't get out of.

It turned out he was an only child during Vietnam, and spent most of his time in the Army as a postmaster in Ft Carson, Nevada. He had undergone continual trauma as a child and indentifies with many of the symtoms of combat vets. His call for help came from recent exposure to a suicide At the Veteran's Resource Center here in Southern Oregon.

It became apparent during lunch that he was deeply committed to the Lord. He picked up on everything I had to offer and expanded it. The joy of our salvation prompted us to chatter for the nest hour and a half.

As I dropped him off and headed home, the thought came to me that real life is not about me, it's about Him, what He's accomplished and continues to do in us.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:34 PM
Administrator

danausmc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Dodson
When I am feeling burned out, restless and over-spent trying to accomplish stuff, I am thankful that Some One reminds me that our primary vocation is to worship HIM. Our jobs, careers, family obligations, neighborhood issues, etc., are simply our "avocations" that sets the stage for our primary mission: obeying God to the best of our abilities wherever He plants us. I guess I console myself that sometimes we are unable to prevent people from doing stupid things, and even harming themselves by not yielding to God's ways. We are His troops and I don't think he wants us spent and worn out trying OUR way to do HIS work. If we are struggling in HIS will, His power and energies will flood us. If we are toiling in our human effort, fatigue will be the only result.

At work, I try to stop worrying about what my boss's next critical remark is going to be, and look forward to the next time my Islamic co-workers and I talk about grace, salvation, a Living Lord who loves us all. (Even the simplist truth that we Christians take for granted brings a comment like, "I didn't know that" about our faith.)

I also realize, as I chronologically 'mature', that I need to be real firm with scheduling down time to recharge physically. "The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still." (Exodus 14:14)

Love you guys! WELCOME HOME!

Don "Oboeman" Dodson
Vietnam 1969-1970
Hey Don, I've thought about this for some time now, hence the long period before replying,

If we do what we do because of what Jesus has done for us, and that in itself is a form of worship, giving back what was so freely given to us, when does it become a job, a sort of drudgery, or worse why does it become a job at all?

Do you think we lose sight of the reason? Or we get so overwhelmed by the huge need we don't spend any time with him? Or are the demands of others robbing you of your joy?

I'm not so sure about any of it at times and am just throwing out some thoughts,
Dana
Old 03-21-2006, 09:07 AM
Pointman69

Dana - you are absolutely right.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:38 AM

Don Dodson is on a distinguished road

Great points! I agree, when our worship becomes drudgery we have lost track of God's grace in our effort. Or, maybe we are trying too many of the wrong approaches, or trying to fit into a job description for which we are not best equipped. Some of us are evangelists formally sharing the Gospel. Some of us are teachers, sharing what God has let us learn with others like in a group or internet setting. Some are comforters, who by our presence, interseccory prayers and listening abilities help God minister to others in need. Some serve, etc. I wonder when I am having role-strain if I am not trying to be someone or something God has not equipped me to be. I know in my own life, the greatest failures, frustrations and disasters have been the result of my willfullness and take-charge human nature.

Psalm 46:10 & 11 reminds us, "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! The LORD of hosts is with us; The God of Jacob is our refuge." I like to put the emphasis on the "I WILL BE" phrases. What can we add to His Almighty work? Nothing, absent our yielding to His will and just being in His grace.

Blessings to you and yours.

Don "Oboeman" Dodson
Vietnam 1969-1970
Old 03-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Pointman69

I was reminded again to remember Jesus during communion this weekend. He did everything right, then gave up his physical life, His reputation, His connection with the Father to open the door for me to follow. It wasn't for His ego. It was His love for me, so I could see the way to live free from the bondage of my sin through His new creation born within me.

Forgive me Jesus for taking my eyes off the cross.