Go Back   Point Man Ministries > Pointman Chapel > Sgt. David L. Roustum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sgt. David L. Roustum Tribute to Sgt David L. Roustum, and all those that serve our Country.

Old 12-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Administrator

danausmc is on a distinguished road
Promises made.

Hello everyone. This is an updated look at the events of the past three weeks. This is not only a tribute to David, but to ALL of those defending our freedoms around the world.

My friend "Armrdangel", Sheila uses this signature...

As it was their job to defend our freedom, so it becomes our job to honor their memories….”

And so it goes......promises made and this is a promise kept. I for one will never forget this courageous young man.

If you have a rememberance or photo or word of encouragement......please feel free to post it here.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Re: Promises made.

Where to start??
What has been a profoundly sad three weeks just never seemed like it would ever end.

I'll start here, some time ago, a new family moved in across the street. Nice folks, two young kids. Just nice people.

As the years went by and the kids grew up, the years of football in the street, hockey, school, college, summer jobs and Military service, both kids grew to be responsible young men and productive citizens. The kind of young people every parent dreams their kids will turn out to be.
Looking forward to the future and embracing life.......

That all came to an end November 20, 2004 when the youngest child, David, was killed during an ambush and subsequent fire fight in Baghdad, Iraq.

Our worst fears became reality that morning as the Army notified the family. No details were availabe at the time.
And thus began the wait......
Old 12-09-2004, 05:50 PM
Administrator

The wait

We were at a going away family get together for another young man on his way to Iraq and came home to the news.
The house was already full of friends and relatives.....grief was just everywhere......disbelief.....and tears.....lots of tears.....the Army was very supportive and assigned an E-7 to help with the myriad of paperwork and details .......

when will he come home??

The question on everyones mind. First sent to Kuwait, then on to Dover. That was all that was known at the time. Many calls back and forth.....now the press becomes aware of what has happened and people are everywhere. The curious drive by....people try to help and comfort one another......friends come by and recall happy times.......moms and dads of men wounded during the battle come by and tell of Davids heroism, and unselfish giving of himself so that their sons might live. A steady stream of Military personnel, family and friends come by to pay their respect......neverthe less.....the wait is so very hard to endure.

Days pass and finally word comes that Davids Brother Daniel will fly to Dover to identify and accompany him to Buffalo.

Thursday, December 2nd, 2004 is to be the day of his homecoming.......
Old 12-09-2004, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Homecoming

The time of arrival is set at 4;30 PM, Buffalo time. We arrive at the funeral parlor to take a small procession to the airport to meet David there. The trip is unevetful, but plans at the airport suddenly change and we cannot drive our cars onto the runway. We ride out with the Deputies and assemble on the tar-mac. A Military Honor Guard stands by. Men that are home on leave from the 1st Cavalry Unit David is part of stand at the ready......the plane finally is opened and the cargo hold is empty except for the Flag draped coffin containing my young friend. What a profoundly sad site. All we see is two months earlier, a smiling and handsome young man, home on leave, full of life, and now........

Now.....the Honor Guard is called to attention, Present Arms!! , is called, the casket slowly is lowerd to the waiting soldiers to carry him to the car....family and friends slowly move to the casket.....the scene is excruciating.....proufoundly sad.....but at the same time profoundly PROUD to be an American. This is the cost of freedom.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:07 PM
Administrator

The scene at the airport

words cant express the sorrow.......
Old 12-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Promises made.

Now he is at the home and Honor Guard is posted around the clock., time to take one more day before the visitation begins. The waiting is over and a new set of circumstances start. Relief that he is finally home.....sadness that we are not the only ones to be enduring what is happening to David. Time seems to be in some sort of limbo. And now it begins, what appears to be thousands of people come by the home. Former team mates, fellow students, fellow Guardsmen and women, family, friends, people he did not even know come by to express their heartfelt emotions....through it all the pain on everyones heart is clearly evident.

Flowers everywhere, and tears......more tears.

How can this be happening???
Old 01-15-2005, 07:59 AM
wndnfire_2000

To Dana, who wrote me and asked me to keep David in prayer, and to write to him to keep him encouraged and lifted up cause he was so special to him, Dana, thank you for such an honor. Although I never heard back from David, and I never expected too cause I know they are so very busy and can't possibly answer all the mail they recieve, I did have a peace that David knew in his spirit how much we all were praying for him and all our troops. I was very grieved to hear of his death, although I had a peace about his being with Jesus now and awaiting all his family and friends to come join him, my heart and prayers turned to you Dana and his precious family. Danny, after reading your Eulogy, I know I have met someone very special. I don't know how many of David's unit are still in Iraq fighting - but you & they have another friend, someone who continues to pray for you all and all those still underfire or the threat of it. From what I have read about David, he fits the character of every soldier, airman, sailor or marine I have met or talked too. But what is so beautiful, is, although each one of our troops, our vets are similiar cause of training and desire to be the best they can be for God and Country - each one of you has a special gift that you offer to all that come to know you - that is what is so special to me - You all are the best, and having read and reread all that has been said about David, he was so very special - So, Dana, you and David's family will continue to be in my heart and my prayers. God bless and Keep you always, sandy
Old 01-22-2005, 09:37 PM
Administrator

funny how this is located in the city where the only Al Queada cell was arrested and convicted......
Old 07-10-2005, 03:32 PM
Administrator

epilogue? It still continues today......
Old 09-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Administrator

from Iraq.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:09 PM
Administrator

David's family after the ceremonies and tumultous times tapered off, tried to come up with some way to help the men from David's Guard Unit and preserve a lasting memorial also. Dave spent a lot of time in the gym and keeping himself fit, so his family put the resources together to place a gym and workout room in the armory. Here are some photo's of the gym and the dedication ceremony.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Chuck has disabled reputation
A old thread flagged flagged from 5 years ago. It is still worth reading all the way through.