Go Back   Point Man Ministries > PTSD
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2005, 08:37 AM

Don Dodson is on a distinguished road
Re: Has PTSD dinged you out of a Job?

Frank:

I'll be praying for your situation to clarify. I heard a radio preacher yesterday afternoon talking about the trials that come our way, even as Believers. I know it is easy for me to say to you and way harder for me to DO when I'm under fire, but God assures us that in this life bad stuff IS going to happen to us, but the assurance is that He has not left us nor forsaken us. The radio guy also reminded me that God's timing is not our timing. It seems unfair that your house hasn't sold and your job plans are not working out. But God is preparing a buyer, and an employer and a new house for you. Keep close contact with Him and other believers who ban help you through this crisis. WELCOME HOME!

Don "Oboeman" Dodson
(Vietnam 1969-1970)
Old 11-05-2005, 08:46 AM
Stickthrower

Classic Re: Has PTSD dinged you out of a Job?

Don & Snowyowl,
Thanks for the response. I am not giving up or lossing faith in the Lord by any means. And your are right about my timeline and the Lords being different. I just need to learn patience.

I know the Lord is testing me, however I just need to get past my personal demons so I can start feeling like a husband/father again. I guess I have been having a pity party & just need to get over feeling like s__t about myself.

Sometimes my PTSD is much better and then sometimes I seem to be afraid to even leave the house! Much less go out of my "comfort zone" and meet people cold turkey asking for work.

God has a better plan & I just need to keep looking until I see His plan. Thanks Guys!
Old 11-05-2005, 09:01 AM
snowyowl

Frank, in my case other than to rub salt into certain people's "wounds" spiritually speaking, I haven't a clue as to WHY I'm back in the same geographical area known as my "spiritual Vietnam". I looked for 3 1/2 years for a decent job and moved to three other geographical locations nationwide and applied nationwide looking for work. ALAS. Aargh! Yes I did and do want out of the big city period.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:33 PM
Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickthrower
Dana,
No doubt about my PTSD having restricted my ability to get promoted, etc at my last job. I was passed over in order to promote people with less experience and training. I have finally made piece with myself over not being able to return to Law Enforcement.

Now I just need to find work to help support my family until we can move to a place where I can get hired for something other than flipping burgers.

The hardest part is controlling my anxiety attacks/fears, etc and get back to work. Here everyone knows me and/or heard rumors etc. No such thing as a fresh start here. That's why I want to move ASAP.

I definately want to go before the snow flies, however I don't think that will happen as it is snowing as I type this. Oh well, the Lord has something planned and I just need to open my eyes to His plan.
Frank;
You are right when you say that the Lord will support you, because He will. Just hold on to His promises which are many but especially remember this one because I believe it is the key to everything:
  1. Matthew 6:19
    "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.
  2. Matthew 6:20
    But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.
Give to God even of the little that you have and God will bless you with much. He WILL provide for all your needs but the key is "are we" doing our part. I am in no way saying that you are not but I just felt lead to mention this awesome truth in God's Word and how it truly applies to all of us in our walk with Him. It is an awesome truth that I have applied to my own life and the more I shovel into God's storehouse the more God shovels back...the only difference is that God's shovel is much bigger and I will NEVER outgive God! God bless you brother Frank and I will pray that God help you in everything.

Victory
"Nam 71-72"
Bite and Strike
Old 11-06-2005, 08:29 AM
snowyowl

Victory I like what you've said but believe we need specific definitions for earthly treasures and treasures stored in heaven for us.
It's like define "Peace with Honor", it's meaning changes with one's position on the political spectrum. Then again I'm not the only one that can walk away from family, possessions, home, and family-not look back-count it all loss and not to God's glory, rather the price of doing business. So what's the hold of earthly treasures in that case? Essentially it's what is in your rucksack for existance.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Stickthrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyowl
Victory I like what you've said but believe we need specific definitions for earthly treasures and treasures stored in heaven for us.
It's like define "Peace with Honor", it's meaning changes with one's position on the political spectrum. Then again I'm not the only one that can walk away from family, possessions, home, and family-not look back-count it all loss and not to God's glory, rather the price of doing business. So what's the hold of earthly treasures in that case? Essentially it's what is in your rucksack for existance.
Snowyowl,
I'm in your corner, that needs more definition to me. For like many Vets suffering from PTSD, I can and have walked away with my rucksack and left everything.

In 1989 I took an ETS instead of re-uping for just 2 more years until retirement because my ex would get half of my retirement. Walked away no problem.

Then in 1990 I quit my job, left all family behind (many of whom I had not even bothered to see in 15 years or more) without even saying goodby, packed up my tools, fishing tackle, & saddle and drove away from Texas and ended up in Washington. I left a home, household possessions, everything else behind without looking back. Again, walking away from everything/everyone is easy for me.

I have never quite understood that passage as to how it related to me. It has always been easy for me. And I ashamed to say it seems like that is what I do when people/life get to close for comfort. Being alone is an easy answer to many of us. Till next time.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:10 AM
0369/0341

ajusmc is on a distinguished road

The first plane ride to Oki, wife was surprized when I turned to get on that plane that I didn't look back. Have always been able to the seabag drag without looking back. Don't really know where I would be today if I hadn't, but with the help of everyone have found out many things about myself. At times I have begun to wonder about this site, even though I put it together for everyone to use as they see fit, if the Lord guided me for my own escape to find out things that I was unaware of them hiding in me
Old 11-08-2005, 06:37 AM
snowyowl

Fyi Re: Has PTSD dinged you out of a Job?

Daniel Boone once said "All a man needs is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife".
If I was stuck in the proverbial deep woods and couldn't find lead but found gold...guess what's going out the front end of my charcoal burner...yep golden round balls...that's my attitude toward this "most sought out precious metal"...that's some earthly treasure...
Old 11-08-2005, 06:47 AM
snowyowl

AJ, tongue in cheek "Do the seabag drag". A new term for this knuckle-dragger.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:43 PM
Administrator

danausmc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
AJ, tongue in cheek "Do the seabag drag". A new term for this knuckle-dragger.
Yep, thats a good one Al.
Sea bag drag.....yep.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:26 AM
Stickthrower

I may be an Army Grunt, but I was raised by a family of Squids! I just figgured I could walk further than I could swim. My Dad was on the US Lexington in the Coral Sea when it sank, then a Destroyer that got sank, an finally a Oiler which got sank. I figured with my luck, I would be on the only US Ship which got sank by a AK47 round, be responsible for a lot of deaths, and waited until I got drafted into the Army. Oh well, go figure. Most of my family was Navy: Subs, Aircraft Carriers, Destroyers, and even a few mud Marines. I grew up in more Navy tradition than you can imagine! I almost got disowned by going "ARMY". But I have always been a loner, even as a child. So for me PTSD was a natural state.

I finally understood my Dad and his "quirks", can you imagine being on three ships which got sank by the Japanise? He was 17 and joined the Navy just prior to Dec 7, so he ended up spending 51 months and go out after the war ended. No wonder PTSD struck me, I was born into it!

The "SEA BAG DRAG" means "You don't look back-no matter how much you want to".
Old 11-09-2005, 08:56 PM
Administrator

danausmc is on a distinguished road

Thanks for being faithful to the site and each other brothers....it means a lot to me and my brother AJ.

And thank you all for your service to our great Country.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:31 AM
0369/0341

ajusmc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickthrower
I almost got disowned by going "ARMY".
Even if we have many a tradition in each family. All branches have honor amoung themseleves.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:12 PM
snowyowl

Stickthrower I was raised Air Force, did three years Army, and Glory, Glory, I saw the light, and went back into the Air Force.
Actually it was the C-130s revving at 0600 every day that got me to thinking. I'm glad I did both though.
I'm looking up the Scriptures pertaining to Heavenly treasures. Post later.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:20 PM
Victory

Quote:
Earthly possessions are needed to survive and the "treasure" these specific scriptures are talking about are tithes and offerings. These are our treasures. Material things will just rot away and will do us no good in heaven. Tithes and offerings though are what God does ask of us. Whether we decide to give to God is ultimately our choice, and our blessings will come from God depending on our faithfulness in this area of our lives. "Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also". God bless you.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:04 AM
snowyowl

Angel Flying Sword Ty Clr Re: Has PTSD dinged you out of a Job?

Sorry this has taken quite awhile.
Here is some verses dealing with heavenly treasures:

Isaiah 33:5-6
5: The LORD is exalted, for he dwells on high; he will fill Zion with justice and righteousness;
6: and he will be the stability of your times, abundance of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge; the fear of the LORD is his treasure.

Matthew 13:44-46,52
44: "The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up; then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.
45: "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls,
46: who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it.
52: And he said to them, "Therefore every scribe who has been trained for the kingdom of heaven is like a householder who brings out of his treasure what is new and what is old."

Matthew 6:20-21
20: but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes and where thieves do not break in and steal.
21: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2 Corinthians 4:7 I think this bears studying in detail.
But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, to show that the transcendent power belongs to God and not to us.

Colossians 2:1-4
1: For I want you to know how greatly I strive for you, and for those at La-odice'a, and for all who have not seen my face,
2: that their hearts may be encouraged as they are knit together in love, to have all the riches of assured understanding and the knowledge of God's mystery, of Christ,
3: in whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
4: I say this in order that no one may delude you with beguiling speech.

And the two following chapters:
Matthew 7
Luke 12

There is also the crowns mentioned in the New Testament.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Victory

Cross Glow Sm Clr Re: Has PTSD dinged you out of a Job?

Snowyowl:
These are very good points but are completely irrelevant to what I meant initially. I was talking about tithes and offerings, of which many tend to shy away from but it is indeed a very vital part of our walk here on earth. Malachi 4 explains to us very clearly how important these two elements of our salvation are. Why would the writer say that we have robbed God?? Because many of us have, which does not exclude me. God has given me much more than I could ever repay but it is my duty to still give my tenth. Malachi 3:10 tells us to bring our tithes into the storehouse (God's house; i.e. church).
Why do you think Jesus would take note of a poor widow who gave her last mite? I believe he did it to make a point. Giving is a sacrifice. If it isn't a sacrifice then it is not really trusting God for His sustenance. Our subsistence should be dependent on Him!!
And yes Luke 12:24.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Stickthrower

Angeldevil Re: Has PTSD dinged you out of a Job?

Well, I think it's official. I am unhirable. Today I was turned down for a job as a manager of a car wash of all things. They hired some kid, said I was "overqualified" and they were afraid I would not work out to their satisfaction!

So far I have been turned down at just about every business in this county! The only thing I haven't tried is flipping burgers!

Was doing some light construction for about 3 weeks part time & that played out. Haven't had a real job since Oct 2004.

But, I will not give up on the Lord. He has something planned & I just need more patience. It's hard, but what else is there to do except keep praying & keep looking.

Still have not sold our home yet & can't leave until it sells. But can't keep up the bills much longer without work for me.

Hope everyone is doing ok as I haven't seen anyone on the site for awhile.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:30 AM

Don Dodson is on a distinguished road

Frank:

I humbly and respectfully disagree with your assessment: YOU ARE NOT UNHIRABLE! Somewhere there is an opportunity for you, when the timing and location are right. You have too much experience (what TO DO and what NOT TO DO) for God to waste your talents. But, maybe in the meanwhile you can become a reading volunteer, or help with a community or faith-based group with nothing in mind other than serving God. I know of some people who started doing something as a volunteer and before they knew it, an opening occurred for a paid position.

Anyway, I know you are in an awful feeling situation. So, our prayers continue for you and your family.

Don "Oboeman" Dodson
Vietnam 1969-1970
Old 01-21-2006, 10:28 PM
Stickthrower

Cross Glow Sm Clr Re: Has PTSD dinged you out of a Job?

Thanks Don,
I guess I am just getting flusterated. It seems as if things are going better and then wham! Oh well, Nothing like being tested again. I have no fear, The Lord is with me. I just have to remember that no matter what I will keep the faith and do His bidding, not mine. I just wish my time line and the Lord's were closer together, Ha Ha.

How has things been with you and yours? Haven't seen anyone on line in quite a while. Has been a few new members, but no one seems to be posting. Maybe thats a good thing in that my brothers have things well in hand with the Lord.

God Bless,
Frank