Go Back   Point Man Ministries > Photo Shop
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Shop Stop in and visit, along with others that have posted pictures for all to enjoy.

Old 10-03-2005, 04:52 PM
Administrator

danausmc is on a distinguished road
News from City of Refuge

The hurricane came ashore about 30 miles south of us as a catagory 3 storm near the towns of Johnson Bayou and Holly Beach. All that is left of these 2 resort towns is one water tower. They totally are no more. From there the storm moved slightly north and followed the Sabine river northward. Vinton, LA is on the east side of the Sabine, and Orange, TX on the west side. Sustained winds were down to 115 mph with gusts to 150 as it passed over us about 3:00 A.M.
Damage to the City of Refuge was extensive, but not fatal. what hurt me the most was 14 of our 80ft. pine trees went down. Walking among these majestic pines is where I had some of my most wonderfull talks with Jesus.
There is some bad roof damage on the south of my apartment, and also some on the south side of the chapel. The chapel also lost a few sheets of sheet rock on the ceiling, but the rafters are still in place so it will be easy to repair. We lost our clothing warehouse (storeroom) completely, and everything in it is water damaged. Also lost the roof on our maintenance shop and tool room. A mobile home that was used for furniture storage was crushed badly. I don't know where the wind dropped the furniture, but it isn't here anymore. We lost the bed storage building, and about 20 mattresses got water logged. The lawn maintenance tool shed is gone completely. There is not a trace of it anywhere, but all the tools are there and not disturbed, as if there never was a building around them. Some tree branches went through the roof of my double wide trailer and busted off the weather head and broke a window, but it will be easily repairable. The porch was crushed by a falling tree. My tool shed is flatter than a pancake. There are 2 of our apartments that had the roof punctured, and the shingles are off about 40% of that roof. We will have to reshingle all of the buildings, and that will take about 300 to 350 bundles of shingles.
The help has been so wonderfull so far. Pointman Ministries has turned out in a way that I have not seen before in my 20 years with them. Roy Cypher from southern Calif. arranged for a crew to come, and they have been working hard. Tom Dahlstrom and Tim Swearingin came over from Houston and spent Saturday working with us, and today Charlie Seguin came with a truck and trailer load of supplies from Baton Rouge. With all of this help,. it won' t be long before all of the trees are cleaned up, and we can start on the rebuilding part. Roy Cypher is coming over in a couple of weeks and bringing Tom Selhime with him. What a grand reunion this will be, with old friends I have not seen in years.
But the wonderfull love and care of Jesus is so evident and overflowing. The 2nd day after the storm, we went into Lake Charles to get some water and ice from a mission group called Convoy of Hope out of Springfield Missouri. They gave us so much more than we asked for, and also loaned us a 15KW generator, so we have electricity, sewer, and water. None of our neighbors are so blessed, and we are able to act as a distribution point for many people around us. We are giving out ice and water and canned food to many families every day. Just before the storm we sent 100 blankets to the Katrina evacuees at another town in LA. So in spite of all the damage we had, we are still 100% functional and serving those in our community who need help and the homeless that God has sent our way.
I was scheduled to have by-pass surgery last week, but I don't have time right now. The last report from my doc. in Lake Charles was he wanted to do from 3 to 6 by passes. But he evacuated for the storm, and hasn't come back yet, and the hospital received so much damage they are closed for repair and no word on when they will reopen. Our parish (county) is still in a lock down. No one is allowed in at all because they still do not have basic services of electricity, sewer or water. This should last maybe up to 2 more weeks before all the damage is repaired. I heard one news man say there was 1400 electric poles down in our county alone.
Many thanks to Tom D. for fixing my computer so I can communicate with you all again.
Thank you all so much
In Christ
broBurt
A City of Refuge
Old 10-08-2005, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Re: News from City of Refuge

the Chapel sustained minimal damage. Two men were inside during the storm.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Re: News from City of Refuge

one of the storage buildings.